Sunday, September 11, 2005

toolbelt diva

So DH is down in Hattiesburg, MS, this weekend working on hurricane cleanup. I figured this was the perfect time to play "while you were out" and redo our bedroom.

heeheee

We had named our bedroom the "blue sea prison of death." My SIL, when they owned this house, had sponge painted different colors of blue stripes down the walls. It felt like you were in an underwater jail, what with the blue carpet :vomit:

This morning I started with the primer then headed to home depot to get supplies for the makeover. I picked up the base coat of paint. Planning on doing a double drag faux finish. have lots of faux finishing supplies already.

picked up a couple new ceiling fans (pretty ones), some closet organization supplies, new door pulls for my kitchen cabinets, more under bed storage...phew...i actually only spent an hour in home depot. has to be some sort of record LOL

My best friend was in on this so she watched the kids for me. :D

After home depot, headed off to target to spend my gift card. Cute stuff in the dollar spot. But my real bargain...the ottomans I'd been wanting were on clearance...BUT the four left were all damaged in some way. Two had the tops shoved in so they were only good as foot rests and you couldn't use the storage. One had a rip in the fabric and one had the hinges pulled off. AFter making sure all the screws were there, i popped the latter two ottomans in my cart and asked a sales associate if she'd mark them down even further... and she did WOOHOO.

Once at home, I got on the base coat of paint.

Fixed dinner for the kids and then my best friend came over.

We then spent the next 2 1/2 hours ripping out the hideous 10 year old carpet. My friend had never pulled carpet before so I did most of the work. I'm so pooped!

I couldn't move our king sized bed or one of the dressers, so i had to cut the carpet around the dresser, pull the tack strip then move the dresser. Did the same thing wtih the bed. We had to do a couple lift the bed and yank the carpets, but we managed to get it all out!

woohooo

tomorrow, I'll be doing the actually faux finish and my friend will be back since she's never done one before. I have to teach her :D And, since I'm pretty inexperienced about putting together bookshelves and closet organizer stuff, she'll be teaching me all that!

the only thing we won't get done before DH is back are the ceiling fans. Neither of us do electric. And the current ceiling fan in our room is wired incorrectly. You can't just have the fan on without the light on...you have to unscrew the lightbulb. So, Dh will be fixing that ASAP.

I will definitely post pictures and dh's reaction on Monday :D

I told him I was doing some stuff to the bedroom and i could just hear the eyeroll through the phone hahahaha

this'll show him :D

oh the only thing i haven't budgeted for the room is new bedding and window treatments so right now the bed and the windows will remain mismatched.

1 comment:

~**Dawn**~ said...

ROTFLOL "blue sea prison of death"...

sounds like you're staging your very own "While You Were Out"! can't wait to see the outcome!