Wednesday, September 07, 2005

she finally did it

my darling almost 7 year old daughter finally got her wish...she has short hair.

I told her the only way i'd allow her to cut her locks is if she donated her hair. her first response was "why don't those kids just get wigs?" which made me laugh. I explained that they still needed hair to make the wigs. She thought about it for a bit then finally agreed.

So today was the day. We drove down to the cheap-o hair cutter next to the wallyworld. Leelee's hair was pulled back into a pony tail and then CHOP. aaaaahhhh

I think it was more traumatic for me than it was for her!

she looks positively darling in her new haircut. Dh said he hardly recognized her she looks so different minus the ELEVEN INCHES of hair that used to cascade down her back.

it was for a good cause, tho

as an aside, while we were getting her hair done, a mother and daughter were also getting hair cuts. they were evacuees from New Orleans. The mother was upset because she needed to register her daughter for school but there was so much paperwork and she didn't know how to read well enough to fill everything out :( This just broke my heart. The hairdresser was so kind and gave the woman her phone number and told her to call her and she'd sit down and help :D I know the Red Cross in our area is looking for tutors to help in these situations. I just hope that families who were falling through the cracks before will get a chance to get the help and resources they need and get the chance to start new lives.

i'm forever the optimist. the only way i can cope with such a massive disaster is by trying to find any glimmer of hope.

1 comment:

Eff Off said...

Awww, you must be a proud mama. I have donated to locks of love and I must say, the inital cut was a little stressful, but the thought of it bringing happiness to another soon overcame my "loss". ;)