Wednesday, August 31, 2005

We take too much for granted

This catastrophe should be a huge wake up call for us as Americans. Life is precarious. Things we have today may not be here tomorrow.

I feel so badly for the women who joke they want their epidurals in their 8th month because they don't want to feel the pain of childbirth. What's going to happen if there's a natural disaster in YOUR area and the epidural isn't available? How do you plan on dealing with that?

What about the babies who's mothers aren't breastfeeding? The formula isn't available now. What are you going to do? THe best thing these women can do at the moment is pray the baby can remember how to latch on. Pray that they are able to relactate because that's the best bet for baby.

Diapers. Where are they going to come from?

simply put, many of the crutches we lean on as mothers, our 'back up' plans are gone if there is a disaster.

homebirthers are usually mocked and tsks because "what are you going to do in an emergency?" but let me ask YOU, what are YOU going to do in an emergency if the hospital isn't there? if that bottle of formula isn't available?

It is vitally important for women to be taught what to do in an emergency other than "call 911" because 911 might not be there either.

and it wouldn't hurt to learn how to tie your baby or child to you either.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I actually learned about the baby tying thing in a Red Cross Parents class.

I try not to live my life in fear of the unknown tho. There are certain modern day conveniences that I choose to utilize without regret. I won't change that just because someday, some time, they might no longer be available.

Just a thought. I'm a pea and I saw your post on the NSBR blog thread. Cool blog!

Michelle said...

thanks sarah! my point tho in posting is to make people aware that we need to prepare just in case conveniences aren't available!