Wednesday, August 24, 2005

greetings from the trenches

holding out here in puke central. my youngest started throwing up yesterday. if she were a grown up, she'd have been praying to the porcelain god with both ends. it was pretty awful.

today she was doing much better. no pukes and only once with the other nasty business. all was starting to look right with the world.

i decided to be domestic during her nap. i was lucky enough that the daycare kids i have also went down for a nap at the same time. Ben was happily playing on the computer. I made, are you ready for this??? Lasagna noodles FROM SCRATCH. I've never done such a thing before and it was surprisingly easy. During the nap, I managed to get my entire lasagna prepped and ready to pop in the oven.

it's times like these when i realize it wasn't a domestic diva moment. it was actually my mommy instinct quietly whispering in the background "you better get dinner ready now because you won't be able to get anything done by 5 pm"

I walked my daycare kids back across the street to their house and handed the reigns back to mom. Little boy turned around and hurled all over mom's shoes. Next, he let go in the bushes. I happily, ignorantly ran back home thinking "glad he's not coming over tomorrow since it's dad's day off!"

Once at home, i turn the oven on and dinner is going. Then, all you-know-what breaks loose. The older two kids scream "ewwwww! MOMMMMMYYYYYY!!!!!!!! ben just puked everywhere!"

Just peachy.

Dh gets home. Dinner is done in a few minutes and DH announces that the little one is naked again. He takes her to the potty then, much to my dismay, we hear that familiar gurgle in the hallway...Ben is letting loose again.

Ben now has a puke bucket chained around his neck. It'll be his new bedtime buddy.

I look over at my 6 yo at the dinner table. Lasagna is one of her favorite foods. She's picking at it. "Mommy, my tummy hurts."

I quickly slide the food away from her and get up from the table. I hand her a puke bucket and send her off to bed.

I have a feeling it's going to be a long long weekend. Surely by Friday the oldest will have it. It will make it's way through our family by Sunday.

At least with something like this, there's an end in sight...too bad it's still 5 days away.

No comments: