Tuesday, August 30, 2005

devastation

Words truly cannot express how my heart aches for the millions of people who's lives are going to be forever altered because of this hurricane. I do not believe there are adequate words to describe even what has happened.

What can you do to help?

Well, for us, the first place we are turning to is our Church as they are very good about organizing efforts to assist those in need. Just five weeks ago, following Hurricane Dennis, my husband went to the Mobile area to help clean up. I suspect we will be going down again...though, we're not sure whether it will be to Mobile or Western Alabama.

Next, contact the Red Cross. They will probably be deluged with calls, though. Donate blood! Even though there may not be an imminent need for blood in the area, it is always needed.

Following Hurricane Ivan, we were asked to donate clothes, especially for children. I had planned on donating our outgrown clothes to a local thrift store, but now they will be heading south.

Other items that will probably be needed include sanitary supplies, diapers, formula, the things you just don't really think about needing because they are *always* available.

I am particularly worried about the diseases that will become rampant in the area that we haven't seen in many years...diseases that are caused by unsanitary conditions. These people don't have clean water, sanitation systems...*shudder*

I also worry about the pregnant women and children. I can't imagine abandoning my home while hugely pregnant and then losing everything. It is horrible.

Prayers go out to those who have been touched by this storm that they may have the strength to endure the challenges and the wisdom to see the miracles and blessings that surely the Lord has in store for them. It is times like this, I remember that the Lord does not give us more than we can bear.

No comments: